7.20.2011

BAKING BLUES

I have to confess, I was on a bit of a roll this weekend. After writing out my summer to-do list, I was  enthusiastically crossing things off left and right. This Saturday I baked my first upside down plum cake of the season. Now I have another confession. It was terrible. Downright disgusting, actually. The entire time  I was mixing the ingredients together, all I could think about was how wonderful it will look and how delicious my husband would think it tastes. Did I mention I wanted to impress you all with my mad baking skills as well? I took the sad little cake out of the oven and plopped it onto a plate. A true test in humility. It's one thing if a cake is ugly, it's another when it tastes as bad as it looks. I even tried feeding it to my little brother and his friend the next day (sorry about that Artem), but even they were wise enough to leave the hard, lumpy substance untouched. So that's that. My baking skills are below par. Good thing my list says "bake non-stop" or else I would be ditching my spatula right  about now. 

Here's a photo of the plums happily simmering on the stove. 

8 comments:

  1. Oh how I despise when things like this happen, especially when you have high expectations. I am sure your next baked good will be far better and at least you have not given up altogether

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, I left it untouched because I was stuffed from the pizza.. It wasn't actually that bad

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your trying to make me feel better, Artem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Your blog is just amazing! I am now following!!! Maybe you'll have time to visit my blog and follow me, if you like :)
    http://kassandra-beinstyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those darn upside-down cakes... I have not once managed to bake a nice one so it's nice to hear i'm not alone - why is this so difficult I wonder???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah man, that's the worst... when you work so hard to make something in the kitchen and it doesn't turn out. Waste of time, energy, ingredients. BUT at least you got some practice in and you can check that off your list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ha kae thats a great story :) i have to admit that i try to impress my blog friends with my cooking stories as well. secret: i only post the successes so they never know the true story :)

    ReplyDelete