12.07.2012

WINTER


Now I understand that it's not officially winter just yet, but if I have to wear a scarf and mittens, that constitutes as winter-time to me. Here is a short list of the little things I look forward to every winter season.

1 ) Wonderful holiday drinks. I can't end my day without a hot chocolate. Just ask my husband how many times he's had to drive to the local coffee shop or grocery store for hot chocolate and you'll certainly get an eye roll and a head shake. It's embarrassing, but thats what happens around these parts. Let's not forget about the spiced apple cider and eggnog.

2 ) Playing in the snow. I'm sad to report that the last magnificent snowfall here was in 2008 and I'm not really holding out for this year to make my snowy dreams come true. However, this doesn't mean I can't drive an hour out to the mountains for some snowy good times.

3 ) Christmas tree hunting. We went hunting the day after Thanksgiving in the pouring rain. It was almost awful, except that we found the best tree in all the lands. But this is really one of my favorite activities of all the holiday season.

4 ) Getting cozy. I bring out the holiday blankets and borrow some oversized sweaters from the husband. I even sleep with two additional quilts. I just love this season for it's coziness.

5 ) Gift giving. Although I don't give into the commercialization of this holiday all too much, I do like to give useful gift to family and friends. To be honest, I really just love wrapping the gifts.

6 ) Holiday decorating. This is my all-time favorite. I don't go out and purchase obnoxious or flashy home decorations, instead I use leftover branches from our tree for all our additional decor. All of our ornaments are plain glass balls I picked up at Goodwill a couple years back. I really find joy in reusing seasonal decor and getting creative with what I already have on hand.

So what are a few things you look forward to this winter season?


( 1 2 3 4 5 6 )

16 comments:

  1. Definitely look forward to sharing a blanket with my hubby and having hot tea/chocolate multiple times a day. Decorating is fun too! There are so many things to love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I wish the season would last just a little longer!

      Delete
  2. I am crossing my fingers that we will get some more snow! I love getting out there and playing in it - it is always such a treat in the valley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for being sooo perfect

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely list!! I love the reused/natural decor idea. I've been in a decorating rut this year since we didn't decorate last year and it's our first Christmas in a home we actually like :/. We also got our tree up immediately after Thanksgiving!!!

    Thanks for the positive feelings about coziness and sweaters... I get tired of them! I also love gift-giving, definitely more than gift-getting! So fun to pick things out for people. Hope I get it all done soon, though, so I can check it off the list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't even started on my shopping list, I'm a bit intimidated by it. That, and I think I get better deals closer to Christmas. Ha!

      Delete
  5. Such a fun list! I love all things winter too and think snow is pretty much the best thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look forward to the cold weather and the possibility of snow. I also look forward to all of the Christmas lights. I kind of wish they could be up all year because I love them so much, but then they might now seem as special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, Christmas lights! Thanks for reminding me! I need to go visit peacock lane this year and check out the lights.

      Delete
  7. Oh reading this post reminds me of why I love Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your tree sounds so pretty! I think we're going to build a tree out of books again this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. out of books?! This sounds amazing!

      Delete